IMT Institute for Advanced Studies Lucca
Piazza San Ponziano 6, 55100 Lucca, Italy
Phone: +39 0583 4326750
e-mail: pantelis d0τ sopasakis ατ imtlucca dοτ it
[Google scholar], [ORCID], [Blog], [LinkedIn], [Twitter]
My PGP Key: 2048R/116FF984
Pantelis was born in Athens, Greece, in 1985. He received his Diploma in Chemical Engineering in 2007 and an MSc with honours in Applied Mathematics in 2009 from the National Technical University of Athens. In December 2012, he defended his PhD thesis titled "Modelling and Control of Biological and Physiological Systems" at the School of Chemical Engineering, NTU Athens. In January 2013 he joined the Dynamical Systems, Control and Optimization (DYSCO) research unit at IMT Lucca as a Post-Doctoral Fellow. His research interests revolve around Model Predictive Control (MPC), Optimisation, Sampled-data systems, Impulsive Systems and Stochastic MPC. His latest work focuses on fractional-order systems and control and the use of general-purpose GPUs to accelerate numerical optimisation algorithms for large-scale problems.
- P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis, Stabilising Model Predictive Control for Discrete-time Fractional-order Systems, Submitted to Automatica, 2016.
- A.K. Sampathirao, P. Sopasakis, A. Bemporad and P. Patrinos, GPU-accelerated stochastic predictive control of drinking water networks, arXiv:1604.01074, April 2016.
- P. Sopasakis, P. Patrinos, H. Sarimveis and A. Bemporad (2014), Model predictive control for linear impulsive systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 60(8), pp. 2277-2282, 2015 (bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis, P. Patrinos, H. Sarimveis (2014), Robust model predictive control for optimal continuous drug administration, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 116(3), pp. 193-204 (bibtex).
- P. Patrinos, P. Sopasakis, H. Sarimveis, A. Bemporad (2014), Stochastic Model Predictive Control for Constrained Discrete-time Markovian Switching Systems, Automatica 50(10), 2504-2514, (doi, bibtex).
- N. Jeliazkova, C. Chomenides, P. Doganis, B. Fadeel, R. Glafstrom, B. Hardy, J. Hastings, M. Hegi, V. Jeliazkov, N. Kochev, P. Kohonen, C. Munteanu, H. Sarimveis, B. Smeets, P. Sopasakis, G. Tsiliki, D. Vorgimmler and E. Willighagen (2015), The eNanoMapper database for nanomaterial safety information, Beil. Jour. Nanotechnology, Accepted for publication (bibtex, pdf)
- I. Tetko, P. Sopasakis, P. Kunwar, S. Brandmaier, S. Novotarskyi, L. Charochkina, V. Prokopenko and W. Peijenburg (2013), Prioritization of Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs) using the QSPR-Thesaurus Web Tool, ATLA, 40, pp. 1-9. (bibtex)
- Sopasakis, P., Patrinos P., Sarimveis H. (2013), MPC for Sampled-Data Linear Systems: Guaranteeing Continuous-time Positive Invariance, IEEE Trans. Auto. Contr., vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 1088-1093. (bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis (2012), An integer programming approach for optimal drug dose computation, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 108 (3). pp. 1022-1035.(bibtex)
- P. Patrinos, P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis (2011), A global piecewise smooth Newton method for fast large-scale model predictive control, Automatica 47(9), pp. 2016-2022.(bibtex)
- B. Hardy, P. Sopasakis et al. (2010), Collaborative development of predictive toxicology applications, Journal of Cheminformatics, 2(7). (bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis, N.Freris and P. Patrinos (2016), Accelerated reconstruction of a compressively sampled data stream, 24th European Signal Processing conference, submitted (see arxiv:1605.02341).
- A. K. Sampathirao, P. Sopasakis, A. Bemporad and P. Patrinos (2015), Distributed solution of stochastic optimal control problems on GPUs, 54 IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, Osaka, Japan, Dec 2015 (pdf, bibtex, slides, errata).
- C. A. Hans, P. Sopasakis, A. Bemporad, J. Raisch and C. Reincke-Collon, Scenario-based model predictive operation control of islanded microgrids, 54 IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, Osaka, Japan, Dec 2015 (pdf, bibtex).
- P. Sopasakis, S. Ntouskas and H. Sarimveis (2015), Robust model predictive control for discrete-time fractional-order systems, Mediteranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED 2015, IEEE), Torremolinos, Spain, June 16-19, 2015 (pdf, slides, bibtex, ieee).
- P. Sopasakis, D. Bernardini, H. Strauch, S. Bennani and A. Bemporad (2015), Sloshing-aware attitude control of impulsively actuated spacecraft, (tutorial paper), European Control Conference (IFAC), Linz, Austria, July 15-17, 2015 (pdf, slides, bibtex).
- P. Sopasakis, D. Bernardini, H. Strauch, S. Bennani and A. Bemporad (2015), A Hybrid Model Predictive Control Approach to Attitude Control with Minimum-Impulse-Bit Thrusters, European Control Conference (IFAC), Linz, Austria, July 15-17, 2015 (pdf, bibtex).
- A.K. Sampathirao, P. Sopasakis and A. Bemporad (Oct. 2014), Decentralised hierarchical multi-rate control of large-scale drinking water networks 9th Int. Conf. Critical Information Infrastructures Security, Limassol, Cyprus, Oct. 13-15 2014 (pdf, bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis (Aug. 2014), Controlled Drug Administration by a Fractional PID, 19th IFAC World Congress, Cape Town, South Africa (pdf, slides, bibtex)
- A.K. Sampathirao, J.M. Grosso, P. Sopasakis, C. Ocampo-Martinez, A. Bemporad and V. Puig (2014),Water demand forecasting for the optimal operation of large-scale drinking water networks: The Barcelona Case Study, 19th IFAC World Congress, Cape Town, South Africa (pdf, slides, bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis, D. Bernardini and A. Bemporad (Dec. 2013), Constrained Model Predictive Control Based on Reduced-Order Models , 52nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Florence, Italy. (slides,bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis (2013), ToxOtis: A Java Interface to the OpenTox Predictive Toxicology Network, 4th International CEMEPE and SECOTOX Conference, Mykonos, Greece. (poster, bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis (2013), JAQPOT RESTful Web Services: An Implementation of the OpenTox Application Programming Interface for On-line Prediction of Toxicological Properties, 4th International CEMEPE and SECOTOX Conference, Mykonos, Greece. (poster, bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis, P. Patrinos, H. Sarimveis and A. Bemporad (2012), Model Predictive Control for Linear Impulsive Systems, 51st Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, Hawaii. (bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis, P. Patrinos, S. Giannikou and H. Sarimveis (2011) , Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling and predictive control: an integrated approach for optimal drug administration, 21st European Symposium on Computer-Aided Process Engineering, Chalkidiki, Greece. (slides, bibtex)
- P. Patrinos, P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis (2011), Stochastic Model Predictive Control for Constrained Networked Control Systems with Random Time Delay, 18th IFAC World Congress, Milano, Italy. (pdf, bibtex)
- G. Melagraki, P. Sopasakis, A. Afantitis and H. Sarimveis (2010), Consensus QSAR Modeling and domain of applicability: An integrated approach, 18th European Symposium on Quantitative Structure-Activity Relationships, Rhodes, Greece. (bibtex, poster)
- H. Sarimveis, P. Sopasakis, A. Afantitis and G. Melagraki (2009), A Model Predictive Control Approach for Optimal Drug Administration, ICheaP-9 : The 9th international conference on Chemical and Process Engineering, Rome, Italy.(pdf, bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis and H. Sarimveis (2009), Formulation and solution of an optimal control problem where the input values are restricted on a finite set, 7th Hellenic Scientific Conference on Chemical Engineering, Patras.
- P. Sopasakis, A. Golnas, N. Apratzanis and C. A. Charitides (2009), Forecasting of the technological and market evolution of QDs using an ARIMA stochastic process, 7th Hellenic Scientific Conference on Chemical Engineering, Patras.
- P. Sopasakis, P. Patrinos and H. Sarimveis (2009), Development of a methodology for the computation of a near-optimal explicit control law for nonlinear systems that are subject to constraints coupling Fuzzy Model Predictive Control and multi-parametric programming, 7th Hellenic Scientific Conference on Chemical Engineering, Patras.
- P. Sopasakis (2009), Automatic Control Systems, SPIN Publications,ISBN: 960-8250-68-4, Athens.
- P. Sopasakis, Modelling and Control of Biological and Physiological Systems, PhD Thesis, National Technical University of Athens, School of Chemical Engineering, Greece, Dec 2012. In Greek. (slides, bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis, Study of the observability of nonlinear systems and observer design using the Frobenius Theorem, MSc. Thesis, National Technical University of Athens, School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Greece, June 2009. In Greek. (slides, bibtex)
- P. Sopasakis, Fuzzy Model Predictive Control : Development of a methodology for the computation of a near-optimal explicit control law for nonlinear systems that are subject to constraints, Diploma Thesis,National Technical University of Athens, School of Chemical Engineering, Greece,Sep 2007. In Greek (bibtex).
- DISIRE (H2020, 2015~2017) Integrated Process Control based on Distributed In-Situ Sensors into Raw Material and Energy Feedstock. I am currently participating as a WP leader for the WP Integrated Process Control.
- Effinet (FP7, 2012~2015) Efficient Integrated Real-Time Monitoring and Control of Drinking Water Networks. I am participating as a WP leader for the WPs Stochastic control of water networks and dissemination and exploitation strategies. (Presentation 1, 2)
- OpenTox (FP7, 2010~2012) An interoperable distributed computational framework for predictive toxicology applications (web, wiki).
- ECO-ITN (FP7, 2012) Environmental Probabilistic Risk Assessment (presentation).
- PEBE (2010-2011) - Funded by the National Technical University of Athens. Control of Systems whose inputs are restricted on finite sets.
- See how recursive compressed sensing based on LASSO can be performed efficiently on a data stream using a forward-backward Newton method.
- I gave a talk titled Scenario-based stochastic predictive control of large-scale water networks at the ASEAN-EU RISE 2016 workshop in Hanoi, Vitenam.
- Check out this new page on a GPU-accelerated algorithm for stochastic optimal control problems and its use for the operational control of drinking water networks
- I will give a talk titled New control techniques for smart water systems at the summer school Smart Systems for Urban Water Demand Management in Monte Verità, Switzerland, 21-25 August 2016 which is organised by IDSIA.
- I will be teaching the course advanced topics in control systems starting February 2, 2016 @ IMT Lucca.